re: trouble in paradise

On 19 Aug 2003 at 17:33, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> Greg Merritt and his lovely daughter, Emily, came by today and helped me
> work on The B.  (THANX, GREG & EMILY!)  We changed the plugs.  Greg says
> I need new wires.  The #1 wire is especially bad, the little clip inside
> it came off and stuck to the plug.

Emily is a great kid and will probably grow up to be the worlds most well known
type 3 expert. Greg is setting a terrific example for her.

There are parts of your old SP wire set which you should keep, specifically the
Bosch elbows on the dist cap and the red rubber boots on the SP connectors.
Other parts can be replaced as necessary. I sell new wire by the foot and have
any of the other parts you might need. Or you can just buy a cheap wireset with
the German SP connectors and use it for parts.

DON'T throw away the irreplacable Bosch right angle dist cap connectors!

> After he left, I took The B. for a spin around town.  She's running
> pretty good (much better, in fact) except for 3 problems:
>
> 1) Very slight hesitation at stop signs, but not every time
>
> 2) backfired after a stop, as I pushed on the accelerator

You need to check each SP wire for the proper resistance. Each should measure
1000 Ohms. We already know that the #1 connector is no good, and that cylinder
can't be firing all the time. The others may look okay but they may also be
open circuit. If you replace SP connectors move the red boots to the new ones.

> and the worst problem:
>
> 3) when I went to back out of the space at 7-11, which is on a slight
> incline, I had no power at all in reverse, and then the car stalled.  I
> kept trying, stalled a few times and finally managed to get out and
> home.

You have a car which has long been neglected. It's a credit to its design that
it has run this long with so little care, but now it probably has several small
problems which are piled up on each other. You've found and fixed the worst
ones, but that doesn't mean that you're done. Stick with it and you'll have a
wonderful little car soon, AND you'll know enough about it not to be helpless
the next time something goes wrong.

Hang in there. It just gets better from here on out.  ;-)