Re: trouble in paradise

On 16 Aug 2003 at 23:49, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> I was just looking in my book, and it said to do the
> timing with the vacuum hose disconnected.  I didn't do
> that.  Could this be causing problems?

No, all the books say that, but it doesn't make any difference on our cars.

> Could this be a spark-plug problem?

Sure, it could be almost anything, but I'd recommend that you check by pulling
off one SP wire from the dist cap at a time and listen for the engine to slow
down the same amount for each cylinder. If you pull off a wire and the RPMs
don't drop at all, then you know that there is SOMETHING wrong at that cylinder
and that it's not firing. Note that this does NOT necessarily mean that it is a
spark plug problem.

Here's what to do:

Start the engine and them go back to the rear of the car.

Take a pair of pliers in one hand and stand so that you're not touching any
part of the car with your hands or feet.

Grab one of the 4 outer dist cap connectors with the pliers and pull that
connector up and out of the cap. Listen. Push back in place.

Repeat for each of the other connectors.

Do you get a similar response from each of the 4?