Re: [T3] trouble in paradise

On 15 Aug 2003 at 18:04, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> Futzed with The B. some more today.  After rereading Jim's post, I
> realized that I have always checked the transmission fluid while the car
> was cold and not running.  I had no idea you had to do it running and
> warm!  So I checked, and sure enough, the fluid was quite low.  I bought
> some more and poured in about half a bottle, and now it comes up to the
> top line.

Okay, this sounds like it might help something. Yes, the ATF has to be checked
with the engine running. ATs are unique in that respect. I was caught off guard
by the same thing many many years ago when I was about 17.  ;-)

> This is so weird.  I checked the timing again, and it was way off!  I
> know I had it OK yesterday, unless I was just so tired I couldn't see
> straight.  I reset the timing, then did the idle and points, which were
> also way off!  I had a really hard time doing the points.  I set the RPM
> at 950, and the dwell to 45.

If this is what you did, I'm afraid your timing is off again. Adjusting the
points/dwell changes the timing, so you have to do the points first and THEN
set the timing. If your points needed resetting this soon, your dist cam is
probably rough or dry. You should carefully wipe it completely clean and then
smear a thing coating of a sticky grease on there to keep the rubbing block
from wearing. Bosch makes a special cam grease for this and I stock it.

> Also noticed I have quite an oil leak.  After working on the car for
> several hours, there was an oil stain the size of a dinner plate on the
> sidewalk.

What part of the engine is it dripping from?