Re: [T3] 32PHN vs 32PDSIT

<x-flowed>On Thursday, August 14, 2003, at 09:43  AM, Jim Adney wrote:

On 14 Aug 2003 at 8:32, Scott Taylor wrote:

 From the VW workshop manual:
28 mpg US for the 1500 Notch and Square and 28.5 for the 1500 Ghia
30 mpg US for the 1500S Notch and Square and 29 mpg for the 1500S Ghia

Interesting that there is very little difference with the T34.

I was wondering about that too. If the difference is due to aerodynamics you'd think the 1500S Ghia would give over 30 mpg.

These aren't quite apples to apples. What happens if we compare single and dual
carb engines with the same compression ratios? I'm sure there were low
compression dual carb engines. Were there also high compression single carb
engines?

There were low compression dual carb engines, but I've never found any fuel economy figures for them in VW's literature. I have one book that rates their horsepower at 63 SAE (7.8:1 compression). There's no evidence in VW's literature to suggest that there were ever any high compression single carb engines.

I always get confused here because the VW production survey refers to only 2
compressions: standard and low. Was the 1500S a standard compression engine, or
was it "none of the above."

It was a high compression engine with a low compression option. The N engine was a low compression engine with an even lower compression option.

I think there were several reasons for still offering the single carb
version:
- ability to run on low octane fuel

Which is cheaper, so the cost per mile may come out the same, or even better.

And also: in some parts of the world high octane fuel may not have been available at all, or too expensive to be practical. VW was thinking globally.

Scott
62 343, 65 361