Re: [T3] no horn!

First off - check the fuse (third from right I think) and rotate it in the
holder to clean things up.
Obvious things to try is a direct feed to the horn to see if it's the horn
itself.  While a voltmeter will tell you if there is 12V on the black/yellow
wire to the horn (ignition on), you should earth the brown wire at the horn to
see if the wiring is passing current.  If the horn sounds, it's a problem in the
circuit back to the horn ring earth.  Make sure the connectors are clean at the
horn.

The steering coupler is a favourite place for a problem - check there's a wire
connecting the two sides of the disc (which is rubber and doesn't conduct).

Remove the steering wheel badge, and earth the wire under to the frame.  If this
works, it's probably corrosion on the brass rings that connect when you push the
ring.  That would require  removing the steering wheel (27mm nut I think; an
adjustable might reach it).

Hope that helps, and I've remembered rightly.  We have to have an annual test in
the UK which makes sure mine is pressed once a year, but it hardly gets used
otherwise, and I often have to trouble shoot it for the test.

If the horn itself does not work, it may be dismantleable to clean the points
inside - the original horn was.  If it's not got 6 screws and a slotted grille,
I reckon it's best to just get another!

Dave ('71 Variant).
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/