RE: [T3] New style thermostat

On 12 Aug 2003 at 20:53, . : orntar : . wrote:

> > From: Russ wolfe [mailto:russella@prairieinet.net]

> > > It's fairly easy to install if all the rest of the linkage is
> still > there. If > > you're also missing other parts then it gets
> harder, depending on which > parts > > are missing. Some of the parts are
> hard to find these days, as they are > > completely different from
> Beetle parts.

> > And some of them are different between single port and dual port
> heads.

> could I fabricate my missing pieces easily?

There are some simple parts that you could make from stiff wire, but the rest
would be very hard to make.

> Does anyone on the list have spare pieces that I could borrow and
> replicate?

Someone on this list may have some spares which they could sell you. These are
rare parts which should NEVER be thrown away, simply because so many already
have been.

> Can I take the tin off the engine in the car and put in the linkage or
> do I need to remove the engine? That may be coming for a clutch change
> anyhow.

It COULD be done in the car, but it's pretty tough. It's a lot easier if out,
but once out you would need access to both the top and bottom of the engine.