[T3] an update and new q

Hello all,
My darling's back on the road again, now running cool
and smooth! The new generator that I put in fixed the
last of the charging system problems. I want to thank
everyone that helped me figure it all out.

However, now that my biggest worry is gone, I have
noticed a few other, more minor things. The biggest of
these is a slight "lunging" whenever I throttle up
fairly high. It's really only obvious when I'm running
full tilt, but I can feel it at other times. It almost
feels like the engine's power dips for a moment, then
is back, then dips again a few seconds later, and so
on. We(myself and my father) think that this is most
likely caused by a clogged fuel filter. Does this
sound reasonable?

Also, on the subject of fuel filters: should I have
one in the engine compartment? There is currently one
in the line running from the pump to the carb; would
it be best if I removed it? Should I just replace it
and move on with life? I seem to remember
hearing/reading something about how filters here are
bad and cause engine fires...

Also, I talked with a friend of mine, one Buster
Andrews by name, about oil brands and other things.
He's a former mechanic for a VW dealership back in the
late 60's-early 70's, before he became a camp Ranger
for our area Boy Scout Camp. He said that he
personally prefers the Castrol oils, but that there
really wasn't a significant difference. I just figured
I'd post that...so many opinions, so few cars.

Thanks again for all your help!
-Kurt
'71 AT Square, "Tyria" - now a jumpy, but cool, lady