Re: [T3] Severe engine problems...?

>       Because of Drake pointing out that there actually is something
> which unites cylinders #2 and 4 I finally checked the injectors while
> trying to start the car--neither 2 or 4 sprayed.

First off, 2 and 4 would fire together only if the injectors are wired up
wrong.  BUT, merely having them wired like this would not really produce
your problems.  But if the injectors are wired wrong AND the trigger points
are dirty or otherwise resistive, this could explain why 2 and 4 do not
spray.  In your case, do 1 and 3 spray together?  When everything is wired
right and the trigger points are doing their job, 1 and 4 fire together and
2 and 3 fire together.

To check the FI trigger points (a worthwhile check)... There is a 3-prong
connector where the wiring harness connects to the FI trigger points (at the
base of the distributor).  Pull this connector off.  Each "outer" pin goes
to one of the injector pairs.  The middle pin is common.

Have an ohmmeter?  Put one probe on one of the outer pins and the other
probe on the middle pin.  Now have somebody turn the key as if to start the
engine (don't worry, car won't start with the FI trigger connector off).
You watch the ohmmeter.  If you're using an analog meter, the needle will
swing back and forth between zero and some high value.  If the resistance
goes back-forth like this, the trigger is making contact for one injector
pair.  Test the other injector pair by looking at the other outer pin and
the middle pin.

As a matter of routine, the points themselves should be cleaned once in a
while by dragging a piece of paper through them.  I use a business card.  I
hear a new $1 bill works well too.

-Mark Fuhriman
 '69 Fastback