Re: [T3] More Carb questions and theories

Hi Dave,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Hall" <dave@hallvw.clara.co.uk>

> The 1600 info taken from a contemporary brochure gives cruising
consumption as
> 34mpg (imp), and that is indeed what my 71 Variant has always done on a
journey
> at speeds around 60mph, even full of camping gear.  Maybe it is time to
measure
> the displacement (somehow!).
>
> Something is over-fuelling the engine if it's persistently running rich,
and
> you've had the heads off so you would have noticed damaged valves etc.
> Have the carbs still got stock main jets? (unlikely there's a problem here
if
> the other carbs have behaved the same).

Well it hasn't always run rich. I used to run it at about 3 1/2 turns out
and the plugs were pretty clean and lean looking. However still the lousy
mileage. Now I run it rich (at idle anyway) and am getting smoother running
and better consumption. The carbs had the stock jets until today when I
fitted 135 to the left (with 150 air correction) and 132.5 right with 140
air (I didn't have a matching pair and according to Haynes it was typical
until the 70's to run the left carb richer than the right- presumably for
cooler running.) However, first impressions are that it didn't change a
thing ;-(
I'm getting fairly good compression test readings so I don't think it can be
valves but who knows?

I guess I must have an air leak- I still needed to set the idle screw out
about 5 turns to get satisfactory idling. Tomorrow I will fit the NOS
throttle plates I have (which incidentally all have the PTFE and brass
inserts already fitted as do all my carbs so I think they must be stock!)
and see if that makes a difference to the idle adjustment. At present I am
using plates that I re-bushed myself with Iglidur bushes and I'm thinking
that maybe they aren't good enough :-( I have good thick papery gaskets
between the heads and manifolds and the others are fresh so I can't think
where else I might have a leak. And its strange to me that both carbs are
settling on about the same happy settings- that points to the bushings
doesn't it!- they are the only common dubious thing.

> How do you estimate consumption - running total of miles and gallons over
some
> months/2000 miles eg?

I always fill to brim full and note the mileage at fill up so I know how
much I used and use an excel spread sheet to work it out.

> 22mpg (imp) on fairly short urban journeys may not be excessive; a drop of
10%
> to 20% isn't that unusual, as the published urban and cruising mpgs quoted
in
> brochures for modern cars show.

Maybe I should just stop worrying- its just that even on longer journeys I
don't get near the VW quoted mileage that you seem to get. I'm just worried
that something is wrong that I could fix and save me some money!