RE: [T3] Hills and heat

The burning smell could be paint on the exhaust?

-Kevin

-----Original Message-----
From: Daniel Baum [mailto:daniel@type34.info]
Sent: Friday, August 08, 2003 12:27 PM
To: type3@vwtype3.org
Subject: [T3] Hills and heat

Hi all,

I'm in uncharted territory. Until now I have been working on what was
essentially a dead car. I've started and run the engine every now and again,
and changed lots of parts and tinkered.

Now I'm driving it short distances quite regularly. I have nothing to
compare it to, and no idea how a Type 3 should feel, so here are some
questions.

It is pretty dire on hills. Can anybody give me an idea of how it
is supposed to feel going up a hill? It accelerates really slowly, but it
does accelerate. My problem is really that I have never driven an AT car
with only 54bhp (when new), so I have no idea whether to expect more than it
is giving at the moment. On the flat it seems to accelerate quite readily.
It remind me a bit of an old automatic Passat that I once had. It was
horrible on hills too.

Also, how would I know if it is overheating? I drove 4km today (some of it
at almost full throttle while going uphill), and this is probably one of the
first times that the engine has attained its working temperature. When I
stopped I could smell a kind of burning smell. I am certain this is coming
from the exhaust.

When I opened the engine bay with the engine still running I didn't get that
big waft of heat that you get from an overheating car. I could touch the
engine without getting burnt. It actually seemed to heat up in some places
after I turned the engine off, particularly around the intake manifolds. I
suppose the head heats them up, and there is no air intake to cool them
down. What signs should I look for to know if it is overheating?

Thanks,

Daniel