RE: [T3] A few Q's

How do I get at this rod, exactly, without tearing
apart my cooling system?
-Kurt
'71 AT Square, "Tyria" - "what's all the flap about?"

> To see if the flaps are opening, I put a little dab
>of white paint (Liquid Paper) on the connecting rod
>that runs in front of the fan housing.
>Then start the engine and let it warm up.  After a
>few minutes, the thermostat expands, and the
>connecting rod rotates 90 degrees.  You know the
>flaps fully opened if the connecting rod has turned
>the 90 degrees (i.e., the paint dab has rotated 90
>degrees).

Any time I rebuild an engine, I use a hacksaw to cut a
screwdriver slot in the right end of that rod,
parallel to the flaps. That way I can see the flap
position at a glance, AND I can take a screwdriver and
lightly twist the rod to make sure that it isn't
frozen and that the linkage feels right.