Re: [T3] slow return to idle

On 8 Aug 2003 at 10:32, hisham bakr wrote:

> Ne, ne, it wasn't so extreme. I meant the last 1/4" or so, just a final tap
> with a hammer on the tip of the drive shaft to make sure its all the way in.
> Still, in hindsight, I don't think its such a good idea even though I've
> done it many times with my other vws. time to consider other means. Twisting
> and timing adjust are no problem, but I am thinking that may be this tapping
> knocked the advance weights off or something.  Anyways, I'll be checking the
> accel. cable for snags and what not.

I can always push them in with the heel of my hand against the top of the dist.
I usually have to rotor in place because you have to turn the shaft to line up
the drive dog with the slot in the drive gear. A new seal can certainly make it
hard to get in.

The advance weights can't get "knocked off," but there might be something else
wrong with the mech advance. Watch the timing with a timing light and see if
the timing changes smoothly, up and down, as you change the rpm with the
throttle. You should be able to tell whether the mech adv is working or not.

Regarding the accel cable, make sure that it has a cable housing around it in
the area where it runs alongside the transmission. Sometimes this housing gets
lost and this makes the cable run roughly over the edges that it now sees.