Re: [T3] Lots of smoke

On 7 Aug 2003 at 22:57, Heather Woltz wrote:

> Ok I carefully pushed the boot back and the connector
> just came right off in my hand. There are no numbers
> which I am guessing someone had already taken it off
> and cut the wires? My question now is how do i get
> that connector back on? I cant get the metal crimped
> thingy out of the plastic holder...or do i try to get
> the wires crimped on without removing the metal
> connector? Please help...

The numbers are small & black. You may have to look all around the wire to find
them. They should be within 2" of where the connector was crimped on. The
wiring harness is fragile after all these years, so you have to treat it
gently. The way to pull the boot back is to push the boot while holding the
wire behind the boot; this way you don't put any stress on the wire/connector
junction. At this point you have to stick something in the front of the
connector that will release the locking tab on each terminal. Sometimes you can
do this with a flat toothpick, I use a metal rod that I made for this purpose.
If you look at the front of the connector you will see that for each terminal
there is a rectangular opening which has a small extra opening on one side.
This extra opening is where you have to insert your tool.

You have to insert the tool and gently press the locking tab back toward the
terminal, then with your 3rd & 4th hands push the terminal backwards out of the
connector body. Then you can solder the wire ends to the end of the terminal
and snap the terminal back in the body.

If you can't figure this out, you could take just the body to a auto repair
shop and ask them to show you what the terminals look like inside. They might
even take the terminals out for you. This is a lot simpler once you've seen the
parts and understand what you're trying to do.

> I checked all the gas lines around the engine
> including the entire fuel ring return line and feed
> line...i even checked the fuel injector base thing
> tightened all that down, the only other thing that
> looks like it could be leaking is the tube that goes
> from the breather thing to the dipstick tube...

You keep coming back to this, so I guess I have to ask: Is this right above the
wet spot that you find on the ground?

> also it doesnt leak when the fuel pump is on only when
> the engine runs

Except for ~1 second when you first turn the key ON, the fuel pump should not
run unless the engine is running. Does yours run all the time that the key is
ON?

> On another note could the rings be so bad that its
> smoking that much?

It's possible, but I seriously doubt if that is your problem. If you have a
compression gauge this might tell you more about the condition of the rings.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org