Re: [T3] Hood latch FAQ, anyone?

On 5 Aug 2003 at 10:50, D. & L. Walters wrote:

> Afternoon, I was wondering because I don't recall seeing one before, but does anyone have
> a DIY/FAQ on how to align the safety latch/hood release on a late model Type 3? It's not
> in any of the manuals that I have here, I had tried it once long ago without any info and
> I seem to remember having to reach up inside the compartment afterward to release the
> latch by hand due to misalignment. I didn't have the spare tire or well piece in place. I
> have to try it again, like soon, and I'm too old to lie on the driveway in the hot sun
> with my arm up to the shoulder in the underside of the car like I'm a midwife assisting
> with some kind of freaky birth. TIA,

There are a couple of things I would suggest:

Make SURE that there is a screw that anchors the release lever base plate (on
the side of the glove box) to that metal tab that sticks back from the dash.
This is critical to making sure that you don't destroy the glove box in the
attempt to open the trunk.

To align the trunk lid, completely remove the large pin that sticks down into
the latch to catch it. There's just a lock nut and then it unscrews.

Once the lid is aligned, wire the latch OPEN and install the upper latch parts
loosely and adjust them until they fit well side to side and fore/aft.

Make sure that the nylon tube that the release wire runs in is intact for its
full length. Inspect the plastic coating on the inner wire; if it is cracked
near the start of the outer tube the crack may catch on  the tube and keep the
wire from moving as it should. If your coating is cracked here, strip it off
completely, all the way up to where it enters the tube.

Have someone inside the car pull back on the release lever while you look down
into the latch to MAKE SURE that the latch goes completely open. Once you're
convinced that this is correct, bend the wire 180 deg around its anchor so that
even if the set screw comes loose you won't be lost.

Then you have to adjust the depth of the latch, as well as the 2 rubber bumpers
at the front corners of the lid, just to get everything aligned right when it's
latched.

At some point it will be necessary to bite the bullet and actually try it. It's
a good idea to leave the spare and its well out until you've passed this
milestone.