Re: [T3] cutoff valve

>I checked the cutoff valves.  The original one has a number 5 on the orifice.
 The one I got from the shop has a number 55.

Just a 5?  They are usually 45 or 55 I think.  My '66 has 45s in it.

On a side note, if anyone an original wiring harness for the chokes and
cutoff valves in good shape ('64-'67), I would like to return my car to
a bone-stock appearance.

>The right hand pipe is still backfiring.  Both carbs have always seemed
a bit on the rich side (evidence is lots of black carbon on inside of exhaust).
 Can a carb related issue cause the backfiring?  I am no expert, but my
limited knowledge tells me that this is not as likely a carb issue.

For me, backfiring out of the exhaust has always been dwell or timing.
Backfiring out of the carbs. (up from the throat) has always been a too
rich mixture.  Have you tried adjusting the mixture screw(s)?

>2. There are 2 "pipes" that are part of the 2 piece housing around the
main fan.  These were plugged so that all of the air was forced onto the
cylinders.  The right hand plug is gone from the housing.  This makes less
coiling air going across the cylinders?

Yes.  I personally would not drive anywhere with one of those wide open.
 If you are desperate, you can cut a soda can in half and use a hose clamp
to block off the loss of air.  I've done this to get cars back to my house.

--
Everett Barnes
'63 361, '66 343