Re: [T3] Severe engine problems...?

Jim, et. al.;

        With hesitation I went to check the oil light, and it checked
out: it came on when the key is turned to the ON position, and turned off
once the engine started.  When I was doing this I noticed that if
anything was different she started a tad easier today, but with the same
problems.
        I turned the engine all the way and again, if anything it was
easier then yesterday when I timed her, and if I went backwards (which I
did ever two turns clockwise) I heard no difference.  Since I was paying
high attention to any sounds I may be hearing something that has always
been there, especially since the noise sounds like nothing important, but
anyhow I heard some creaking when it was a little past TDC for #1--I only
noticed it then, so it may have been there while I turned the entire
thing, but since it didn't sound worrisome I just moved on to your next
suggestion.
        I drained the oil, and here is where I found some hints, but
first the less worrisome results: there was a small piece of paper or
something in the oil, although this may have been from the paper towels I
used to dry my oil pan (I cleaned and dried it so as to know everything
in there was also in the engine).  Also, there was a sort of gel like
substance I noticed after I took the strainer off hanging from the tube
the oil is sucked through to get to the rest of the engine which dropped
off into the pan and I never found anything in the oil when I was moving
my hand around in it.  If there was any metal it was only tiny dust like
pieces, and not many; this also could have been residues of the grease
and what not that was in the pan prior (I had used it to clean some parts
a while back).  Now, the disconcerting part of the oil, it had gas in it.
 I noticed discoloration on the strainer, put it up to my noise, and
noticed it had a light gas smell, so I looked at the pan and noticed that
it had two different shades and what looked like two different weight
liquids so that they wouldn't mix and it also smelt of gas, not strongly,
but noticeably.  Also, when I checked the oil level before draining it I
noticed that it looked a tad higher on the dipstick (maybe a bit less
than 1/4").
        I attempted to search the www.vwtype3.org archives but AOL was
acting up and I couldn't, so I looked in my books and thought it over.
The only two ways I could find would be a faulty fuel pump, or worn
piston rings.  I don't see how a faulty fuel pump could ever cause that,
at least not with an FI system and with the fuel pump all the way in the
front axle far away from anything oil related--how does a faulty FP cause
that anyhow?  So my conclusion is that when the engine was running on
next to no oil it wore the rings out just enough to allow fuel to leak
into the oil.  If this is all it is, at least it is cheaper to repair
than some other things that could have occurred...would this explain all
my symptoms?
        Also, there seemed to be more crud than there should of on the
oil pan/plate, whatever that black thing is where the oil drain is
located.  I would expect next to no crud since although it hasn't been
cleaned in over 4 months, the engine has been run for maybe 30 miles (I
got 27 from what the odometer is and what I last recorded it as before I
changed the oil which means it probably had 10 miles less, and added up
for all the times I ran it but didn't drive it).
        The spark plugs were also interesting.  They all had a small
amount of carbon deposit (they are were changed shortly after the oil was
4 months ago) causing the top of each to be blackened (some worse than
others), but not with enough carbon to really leave a residue on my
finger.  I would assume this occurred since I ran the car quite a bit
without getting the timing just right first.  In addition, the boots that
go around the spark plugs were all melted, with 1 and 2 only having small
melted parts, and number 3 being melted enough that I had to pull it out
with pliers and it stuck, but with nothing left on the crankcase or spark
plug (I don't have a boot for 4).  Then 1 was a bit tight and I think
there are 1 or 2 small metal shavings on it, or it could be the
anti-seize stuff I used having been heated up enough or drying.
        The hose attached to the pressure sensor was firmly clamped to
both ends, and I made certain it wasn't clogged, even though I can't
imagine how that would occur.
        One thing I remembered that I'm now lightly concerned about is
that after I had put everything in the engine back in I dropped a small
piece of rubber into the pulley housing and was never able to get it out
(at the time I had just put the intake boot back on and had finished
bolting the housing on and I didn't want to go through all the trouble of
removing and installing it again since I couldn't see how that would
cause a problem).  So...could that cause a problem?
        Now that I have some idea of what is wrong I feel much better,
even if it may mean a lot of work.

Sincerely,
Christopher J. Valade