Re: [T3] Severe engine problems...?

On 3 Aug 2003 at 3:00, Chris J Valade wrote:

> turns out I had idiotically forgotten to put the valve cover back on
> the 3-4 valves and had lost nearly all the oil on the 2 or 3 mile trip.
>  The odd thing is that I kept checking on the oil light and it never
> came on, so maybe I was lucky...?  Or maybe the light is malfunctioning
> in someway even though it does light up when it should during starting.

Check and make sure the oil light still comes on when you turn the key ON and
then goes off after the engine starts.

> I got out of the gas station with less power then I came
> with, then the further I went the less and less power I had.  First I
> could hit 35, then 25, now the needle doesn't move but I would guess 5 or
> so mph--full throttle!

I know this doesn't sound good, but there are still other possibilities.

> Here is everything I could figure out so far (I haven't ran many tests

Here are some things you should try:

Turn the engine over by hand with a wrench on the generator, just like you do
when you're setting the valves. Does the engine turn over as easily as it did
before? If you stop periodically and turn it backwards do you feel any "thunks"
as if something in there has backlash?

Drain the engine oil out into a clean container. Remove the strainer and
inspect it for debris. Run your hand around the bottom of the drained oil
container and see what you come up with. Bend a wire and use it to scrape
around the bottom of the sump in the case and see if you can drag out any
larger chunks of debris.

Pull all 4 spark plugs and examine them. Are they bent up? Are they really
black?

>  When I get her in drive she usually stays very weak but once in a while
> she'll pick up for a split second or even pick up to regular for 10 or so
> seconds.
>         Right now I'm suspecting a problem with a rod, cylinder, or
> piston, or maybe with the fuel injectors or something else fuel related.
>         In addition to checking the timing I also attempted to adjust the
> idle with no success.  After I got her home from the smog check place I
> timed her and she ran much better with a much steadier idle.

Make sure the hose from the pressure sensor to the intake air distributor is
connected at BOTH ends. If it has fallen off at either end the FI will be
awful.

Let us know what you find.