Re: [T3] Lots of smoke

> You would probably have been better off using the 68
> FI with the later engine,
> but if you want to switch to the 71 FI then you have
> to switch EVERYTHING,
> including the ECU, the wiring harness, and the
> pressure sensor.

Well when i got the 68 there was a POS single weber
progressive with a later engine (half of the cross
member!!) and a whole bunch of problems.

When I took the (71) engine out it ran great but it
was an automatic and im not sure if the AT had a
different wiring harness than the manual. on the
wiring diagram there are 2 wires for some AT vacuum
thing?

I have the 71 brain, IAD(cold start inj., throttle
valve switch, etc.), manifolds/injectors, distributer,
Air cleaner,fuel pressure reg., fuel pump and wiring
harness.  I have not installed the later pressure
sensor but i do have that handy. Its all pretty much
71 once i get the 71 PS in...BTW when i removed the PS
it had oil dripping from it is it supposed to have oil
inside? do i need to oil it again? could it have
rusted from sitting 2 years?

Now i was wondering is the PS hooked into the IAD
(intake air dist.) on the left side under and between
the 2 intake pipes?

> You need to get ALL the wires connected before you
> can expect things to run
> properly.

there are only 2 wires that i am not sure about. I
have the bentley manual and it shows the 68-69 70-71
and the later but the 68-69 it shows how the wiring is
wired through the shrink wrap. The  70-71 shows the
ECU pins and corresponding connector. I was wondering
what is the differnce (added or deleted items) between
68 and 71 wiring?

should I remove my wiring harness and try to rebuild
it or maybe get another 71 wiring harness that is in
better shape?

> As Greg said, you have to make sure that you have
> the pressure sensor hose
> hooked up to BOTH the pressure sensor AND the intake
> air distributor.

> Are you sure that this 71 engine was good before you
> installed it? This all
> sounds like you have a lot of blowby which is a sign
> of an engine which is not
> very healthy.

When i took this engine out it ran great with this FI
setup. It was sitting for a 2 years and when i
exchanged the flex plate and flywheel and getting
everything prepped I ended up tipping it in its side
and upside down to get to everything (fan shroud, oil
sump etc.) could this have gotten oil in unknown
places that would burn excessively?

As far as FI goes (as an AT) was giving me little
problems like having to put it in neutral when at
stops but besides that it was fine. I was told the
engine had a rebuild 15,000 miles ago. but you can
never be too sure about that. I was going to do a
compression check today to see if it could be my
rings, but i will also hook up my PS and see what
happens.

> > As for the engine not running very smoothly i am
> > guessing that is from something not hooked up? I
> > noticed that i had to keep pushing the number 1 FI
> > connector back on.
>
> I'd like some more info on which parts are from 68
> and which are from 71. That
> will help figure out what may not be connected
> right. You also have to realize
> that the FI wiring harness is 30 years old and needs
> to be treated gently, or
> you will break something.

On another note the shrink tubing changes color half
way down the harness, which i am guessing means
somebody had tore into it, and who knows what they
could have done. There is a bit of missed or cracked
booties, and a few wires with little shrink tubing I
have thought many times that if i knew the harness a
little better i would tear it all apart and rebuild
the whole harness.  with new connectors/botties and
shrink tubing (IIRC i think there was a discussion on
the availablility of FI connectors a while ago)

Thanks so much for your help I will be back tonight
for an update.

Heather