Re: [T3] adjusting TVS!?!

On 2 Aug 2003 at 12:08, - = orntar = - wrote:

> Anyway, I think I got it, but jim mentiond you need a multimeter
> to do it right. What do I measure? any combination of the three prongs I
> measured, gave me infinite resistance. That doesn't sound right by the
> test in the bent.

The throttle valve switch is really one of those things that needs to be set
once, and then just left alone. It really doesn't change.

In the Bentley, look in the FI chapter and note that all the terminals have
numbers. Those number are also molded into the plastic case near the terminals
of the throttle valve switch. While the TVS changed over the years, EVERY year
incorporated an idle switch, which if we look at the diagram for the 68-9 FI
was terminals 17 & 20. If you look at the later diagrams you will find that
their more complicated TVSs still include terminals 17 & 20. So all you have to
do is find 17 & 20 on your TVS and connect an Ohmmeter across them.

Then you adjust the TVS so that this switch is in one state (I can never
remember which state that is) when the throttle is closed and changes states as
soon as you open the throttle a little bit. Adjustment is just a matter of
keeping that "little bit" small, while making SURE that it changes states every
time you let your foot off the throttle.

The only 2 readings you should get from your Ohmmeter between terminals 17 & 20
should be ~0 or very large (infinite.)