Re [T3] Hrmmm, a New Predicament

On 31 Jul 2003 at 21:12, Kurt Nolte wrote:

> Well, for the first part, yes, I am fairly certain that I had it set for DC
> voltage, and I did everything twice just to be sure, with screwy results both
> times. the fuse I used was the first red from the right; ordinarily I would be
> able to give you a number, but the book is out in the car and it is pouring
> with rain at the moment.

Okay, so there's some chance that the fuse box measurements were flakey because
there is a bad wire somewhere, or that a fuse has a broken element that is
making a poor contact. You might want to try making your connections directly
across the battery, or you can make them right ON the generator, from D+ to
ground (but these latter voltages will be ~.5V higher.

> Also, yes, it was the test that involves shorting the DF terminal then
> measuring D+ to ground.

Did you remember to remove the wires from these terminals first?

If you did, but still don't get good voltage output in this test, then measure
the resistances between ground, D+ and DF, with all the external wires
disconnected. In each case you should get resistances pretty close to zero or
less than 5 Ohms.

Let me know what you get. If these numbers look okay, I'll tell you how to
repolarize your generator, but it's VERY unlikely that this is your problem,
unless someone installed the battery backwards in this car sometime recently.

> And I am certain that it was installed correctly...after reading about that
> in the bentley manual, I realized that it had initially been on there
> improperly, and made sure to correct that. So, basically, I am looking at a
> shot generator. I don't know if I'll be able to get one locally... But I'll
> try.

Glad to hear that you got the generator positioned correctly. This is commonly
done wrong.

I even think I have a good "new" rebuilt here, so keep me in mind. The part
you're looking for is a Bosch GR-16X. They'll want your old one in return.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org