[T3] putting early metal hinge cover on '69 Squareback

<x-flowed>
The plastic rear hatch hinge covers are fast on their way to disintegrating to dust. I picked up an early metal full-width hinge cover along with the light.

It looks like I pretty much just need to drill holes in the roof (well, not the roof-roof, but the metal structure above the headliner) and install it with sheet metal screws. Is that about it? Will I find that there are vestigial holes hiding there behind the headliner? Also, how should I wire up the lights?

Then there's the question of what color to paint it. The car is Toga White with black interior. What color were the metal covers painted originally?

If anyone has installed an early cover in a later car, please pass along any other tips! I'll be messing up the headliner under the cover, so I need to get it right...

-Greg