RE: VW LICENSING PROGRAM (loooong)

From: jason.smith@sarcom.com
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003 10:26:44 -0400

>Right, but this is obvious is it not.  You cannot use someone else's
>creation to make money for yourself.  This does not effect most of us that
>just have 'fan' sites describing our cars and not selling any service
>related to the trademarked material. Please see the above page, it explains
>all 'fair use' of other people's trademarks.

Hi Jason,

Keep in mind that I am with you on this.  However, you need to read VW's Licensing Agreement.  They are wanting the FAN (non-commercial) sites to sign the agreement also!

Read the part about not allowing links to other commercial sites. Read the part about no ad banners (hey GeoCities site owners...  guess what? you're violating the agreement and have nothing to say about it!)

Yes, this all means that they are wanting to supercede the "fair use" law!

Al
(I'm not defending it, I'm just stating what the VW UA states!)