RE: [T3] Welding - bumper brackets

> From: Jim Adney
> I think most state laws require that you have a bumper at
> each end. While I've
> never heard of anyone getting stopped just for this, it COULD
> be one of those
> things that gets added on if the cops decide they want to
> stop you anyway.

I read through the Ohio Revised code for Motor Vehicles and the only thing
mentioned was bumper height.  Here is a quote:

"(B) The director of public safety, in accordance with Chapter 119. of the
Revised Code, shall adopt rules in conformance with standards of the vehicle
equipment safety commission, that shall govern the maximum bumper height or,
in the absence of bumpers and in cases where bumper heights have been
lowered or modified, the maximum height to the bottom of the frame rail, of
any passenger car, multipurpose passenger vehicle, or truck."

Note the statement "in the absence of bumpers".  Maybe I can get away with
it or at the least get away with having the rear one removed until I can get
it fixed.

Thanks for response though, I hadn't even thought of the legal
ramifications.

Jason Smith
71 'bumperless' Square FI AT
http://jasontsmith.tripod.com/vw.htm