RE: [T3] Vapour trail

Anyway, I turned the key, and the engine started absolutely immediately.
However, loads of black stuff came out of the exhaust and left what can only
be described as a vapour trail behind the car on the ground. I've never seen
anything like it before and frankly find it a bit alarming.

This is what it looked like:

http://www.type34.info/temp/IM000040.JPG

http://www.type34.info/temp/IM000041.JPG

Anyone have any idea what the hell it was? Apart from this the engine really
did run well; it idled at the expected speed, revved up and down quickly,
and started instantly.

Daniel,

This may have just been condensation that accumlated in the exhaust since the
the motor had not been run for a few days.   If you start the motor again and
little or nothing comes out than I doubt you have anything to worry about.

Tell 'em you did a burnout.

Norman
'68 Squareback