[T3] Welding - bumper brackets

My rear bumper bracket has rusted free on the right side.  It was hit at
some point and the sheet metal that held the oval bracket has disintigrated.
The oval bracket(I don't know what to call this, the piece that receives the
bolts welded to the body), it is fine and the sheet metal around the hole is
fine.  Is the best thing to get a new piece of sheet metal welded in, then
have the oval bracket re-welded to the metal?  I asked at a body shop that
had patched my fast wheel well but they wanted like $400 bucks to do the
patch.  It sounded a little outrageous to me, anybody know a good price
range for this?  I wish I had some friends into cars, this seems like it
would be fairly easy if you had the tools and some experience.

As a side note, I have been running without the rear bumber, because the PO
had wired it to stay but with every bump it gouges the sides of the fender
and deteriorates the weld on the left side.  I am thinking of just removing
the bumpers (front too) until I can have this fixed.  I don't see too may
cars with both bumpers removed, I do see a lot with front removed and rear
intact.  What are some opinions?  Would this still be considered stock if
you remove stuff?

Jason 'bored at work and making questions up to post to the list' Smith
71 Square FI AT
http://jasontsmith.tripod.com/vw.htm