Re: [T3] Lifting car - engine out

Arron wrote:
>Should I replace both heads if I end up replacing one?

I like too, but if you're having trouble only on one side, fix it only.

>Also, do I need to take the engine completely out for
this?
I really helps to, as then you can get to all of it.

>My jack goes up a little over a foot (jack
>stands can go higher), but I don't think that's enough
>to get the motor out -- the Tom Wilson book says you
>need to get the back end of the car three feet in the
>air?

Arron, you don't need to lift the car that high. You only need about 20" or
so.

Is there anything else I should know specifically
before I attempt this? I'm a little intimidated by the
thought of disconnecting the motor... Also, with the
auto transmission, where do I put the jack to
initially lift the car?

You only need about 20" or so. With the AT you have some speacial things to
think about. 1) the torque converter bolts must be removed (or it WILL come
out of the tranny), 2) you need to get the torque converter to seperate from
the AT flex plate (mark both to keep the vibrations down). Other than that it
removes just like a MT car would. I normally like to lift at the rear spring
plates, and put the jack stands under the rear torsion bar. Then I grab a
second jack just for the AT and jack it up a little, because it will tip
downward, trying to lose the torque converter. Then the main floor jack under
the engine to remove the engine.  Others will chime in here too. I hope this
helps.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof
       69 Square AT-the baby suburban