Re: [T3] Sleeping extension hinges installed!

On 24 Apr 2003 at 17:31, Per Lindgren wrote:

> Another thing I'd like to mention is that these hooks doesnt exactly
> hold the seat back if there's a big load pushing from the rear in an
> emergency stop. I remember once, I had something heavy in te back (cant
> remember what it was), I had to make a emergency stop for some stupid
> woman driving some stupid Japanese car, and the rear seat back folded
> forward as the load hit it from the rear. I thought my rear seat was
> broken but luckily it only pushed into place again.

Okay, I'd always wondered how sturdy these were. They really have pretty poor
mechanical advantage on the seat back. It's also important to keep in mind that
if you have left your seatbelts UNDER the seat, then it is possible that the
seat didn't go down far enough to engage the levers at all.

The late seat back latches, that attach to the upper corners of the back seat,
should be able to hold much better, but I hope I never have to test this like
you did.  8-O

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org