Re: [T3] auto axles

On 21 Apr 2003 at 23:35, phillip bradfield -- volkshaus wrote:

> hello. i have a quick question for anyone: what's the deal with auto axles?
> are the shorter or longer than manual axles.

The AT half shafts are 2 different lengths. I think they are both shorter thant
the MT axles, which are both the same length. The complete info is in the
Bentley manual.

> i've recently purchased from martin an auto tranny pan, and was wondering
> how they are different...

The AT pan does not have the clutch cable tube, but it does have an extra tube,
or just an exit hole, for the AT shift control cable. These 2 things aren't in
the same places: The clutch tube exits at the rear, while the AT hole exits
from the bottom.

In the earliest years, the pans were also different on top of the tunnel, where
the shift levers bolted on, but this was made "universal" by at least 71.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org