Re: [T3] Problems, Problems ;-(

On 21 Apr 2003 at 23:15, Mark Seaton wrote:

> From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>

> I charged the battery today. It was 12.5V before which is OK but not fully
> charged. Its now 14.5V. There seems to be a 1V drop to the coil however
> which has got to have an effect on spark voltage- less current through the
> coil during dwell.

12.5-12.8 is perfectly normal for a fully charged battery while it is NOT BEING
CHARGED. 14.1-14.4 is the fully charged voltage WHILE BEING CHARGED. A 1V drop
to the coil is perfectly normal. Remember, the electrons have to go from the VR
to the ignition switch and then back to the coil. There is always a voltage
drop along the way.

> I was searching for ignition lead material today as I'm not overly happy
> with what I've got- its blue silicon spiral metal wound fancy stuff for RF
> suppression and I just don't like it. I found some stuff from Van den Hul
> who usually do high end Hi-Fi cable. Its called HQ-1 and is pure copper with
> PTFE insulation and is conveniently 7.2mm dia. Don't know the cost yet but hope
> it isn't the silly price of their hi-fi leads- probably will be though. > > > >

Don't bother. The only result will be a lighter pocket and fancy bragging
rights.

> Here's my new theory- what do you think?
> This evening I drove home and the engine behaved impeccably. I think I've
> got it sussed. The difference is that tonight I let it warm up properly.
> When I first start, the engine now ( thanks to the new properly set up fast idle
> cams) runs fast. BUT it also misses somewhat. If I blip the throttle too soon,
> the idle drops and the missing becomes such an issue that the engine stalls. The
> engine never seems to recover from this and runs badly no matter what (I'm
> mostly doing short 1/2hr journeys). I guess the plugs foul up and never
> recovers, or the rings never make a good seal.

I don't think rings seat and unseat on each restart. Fouled plugs don't recover
when you turn the engine off. My take on this would be somewhat different:

You engine doesn't run well until it has been fully warmed up. If you undo the
choke too soon it falters. This makes me wonder if it is jetted too lean. It
can tolerate this when it is hot, but not when it's cold (when it needs an even
richer mixture. I would look at the jetting and also look for something else
that might be making it run lean, like a vacuum leak.

Others with more carb experience will have better suggestions.