Re: [T3] Problems, Problems ;-(

On 21 Apr 2003 at 11:21, Mark Seaton wrote:

> From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>

> > Low voltage won't affect the carbs at all. This is NOT your problem. I was
> > going to suggest the red boots until you reminded me that you had them
> already.
>
> But what about the coil? Is 11V enough? Of course it won't affect the carbs
> themselves!

11V is fine. I think the coil will work fine down to around 8V, which is about
the lowest that the starter will still crank, on a 12V car.

> > Sticking mech advance? Does the shaft snap back easily?
>
> Well it does most of the way, but there is a little area at the end of
> travel where its a bit stiff- will investigate. I did have it aprt and
> cleaned lubed 6mths ago and it all looked fine.

The bit at the end may just be the backlash in the gears and the drive gear.
The only way to be completely sure is to remove the dist and then twist the
ends. ANY stickyness at this point is cause for concern.

You should also check the little ground strap between the 2 halves of the
breaker plate inside your dist. If this is broken/missing then you can have
spark problems.

> > > Fuel pump only working intermittently? Sticky valves?
>
> Fuel pump is new, and the problem was there before. Sticky valves is
> another of my chief suspects- I think I've always thought it might be
> that. Is there a simple procedure for investigating this?

I meant the valves in the fuel pump. If they stuck open the output pressure
might drop.

> > Overflow hose cracked letting water into the gas tank?
>
> Don't think so- I keep checking it and it always looks fine

The easy way to check is to top up the tank and look underneath for fuel
leaking out.

If yours is a square, consider temporarily installing a fuel pressure gauge and
take someone for a ride when it's malfunctioning. Have them watch the gauge AND
your timing light, while connecting it to each SP wire in turn.

--
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org