Re: [T3] Problems, Problems ;-(

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jim Adney" <jadney@vwtype3.org>
Sent: Monday, April 21, 2003 3:24 AM

> Low voltage won't affect the carbs at all. This is NOT your problem. I was
> going to suggest the red boots until you reminded me that you had them
already.

But what about the coil? Is 11V enough? Of course it won't affect the carbs
themselves!

> You've got an intermittent problem that you'll just have to pin down.

I Know! Thats the problem, I can't- its beating me :-(

> Dirt in float valve? Put in an in-line filter.

Got one!

> Spark track on nose of coil, or in/on the dist cap? Inspect carefully.

Did that, and its always been intermittent since I got the car- several
plugs/leads/caps/points ago. I blamed it on the carbs though.

> Sticking mech advance? Does the shaft snap back easily?

Well it does most of the way, but there is a little area at the end of
travel where its a bit stiff- will investigate. I did have it aprt and
cleaned lubed 6mths ago and it all looked fine.

> > Fuel pump only working intermittently? Sticky valves?

Fuel pump is new, and the problem was there before. Sticky valves is another
of my chief suspects- I think I've always thought it might be that. Is there
a simple procedure for investigating this?

> Dirt in gas tank? Filter sock in tank clogged? Inspect with flashlight.

It was spotless last time I looked, but I suppose it wouldn't harm to check
again.

> Overflow hose cracked letting water into the gas tank?

Don't think so- I keep checking it and it always looks fine

Thanks for the ideas Jim- will investigate further

Mark Seaton
'73 Fasty,
London