Re: [T3] Problems, Problems ;-(

On 20 Apr 2003 at 22:29, Mark Seaton wrote:

> Well I got in to come home- it was dark and cold and had turned rainy. So I had
> to put my lights on- these are the only differences from this morning. But it
> ran like a dog again! Stalling during warm up and lumpy and under powered all
> the way home. I ran round the back after I got it (just) running again and
> peered down the carbs thinking it may be a stuck needle valve- nothing untoward
> there. But there was a nasty unhealthy smell to the exhaust. I checked the
> voltage at the coil and it read only 11V. I checked the output at the gen- 13V
> at idle, 14 at mid rpms. So now I'm thinking that this maybe the culprit. I know
> how important a steady voltage is for FI, but is 11V too low for a decent spark
> for a carbed car? Perhaps it is something to do with the pertronics ign module I
> fitted needing more than 11V to be reliable- I will try to look up the specs in
> a mo. Could this be a regulator problem? (the lights seem bright and white
> though) or maybe the wiring from the ign switch to the coil? I guess tommorrow
> will be taken up trying to sort this out- I have a few spare regs so I will try
> that, and maybe a relay giving power direct from the battery to the coil on its
> own cable. Just to clear the obvious- the battery is less than 1year old and a
> good bosch. The plug leads are new and the plugs I cleaned last week- oh and
> they have the silicon rubber sealing boots that I bought off Jim A so I don't
> think its the rain.

Low voltage won't affect the carbs at all. This is NOT your problem. I was
going to suggest the red boots until you reminded me that you had them already.

You've got an intermittent problem that you'll just have to pin down. Here are
just SOME of the possibilities:

Dirt in float valve? Put in an in-line filter.

Spark track on nose of coil, or in/on the dist cap? Inspect carefully.

Sticking mech advance? Does the shaft snap back easily?

Fuel pump only working intermittently? Sticky valves?

Dirt in gas tank? Filter sock in tank clogged? Inspect with flashlight.

Overflow hose cracked letting water into the gas tank?

???