Re: [T3] Compression Test

--- Jim Adney <jadney@vwtype3.org> wrote:
> > I finally got around to doing a compression test
> on
> > the engine. Just over 120psi on all cylinders
> except
> > for #3, which was (gulp) 40-50psi.

>>> Have you double-checked your valve adjustment?
How about the torque on the lower head studs? There's
a good chance you've got one loose, or pulling out.<<<

I went to check cyl #3's valves and ran into a problem
a couple seemed to have had on the list, although the
explanation was usually that they should double-check
the pully is in the right spot... I couldn't get the
feeler gauge in no matter how far I moved the
adjusting screw. Initially I put the pulley at 0
degrees and the distributor rotor was pointing toward
#1 cylinder. I rotated it 360 degrees to check
cylinder #3's valves (rotor was pointing at cyl #4)
and I couldn't get the feeler gauge in. What could be
wrong? I flipped it around 360 degrees again and was
then able to get the gauge in.

What could I be doing wrong?

Aaron

=====