RE: [T3] Fuel injection troubles have defeated me so far :UPDATE

On 16 Apr 2003 at 23:16, Bryan Castles wrote:

> Do you suggest taking this opportunity to relocate the sensor?  Or is
> putting it back in the stock hole for this year the best idea?  I might
> be able to get a right angle dremel in there to do the job, but I really
> doubt it.  I'd like to avoid pulling the engine, but who knows what I'll
> have to do now.  I'm not sure if these are the original heads or not, so
> I don't know if I'll have one of the other locations available to drill
> then tap.

If you have the upper boss, I'd guess that using it would be easier than trying
to salvage the lower one right now; you can save that for later. If you have
the upper boss, there is a good chance that it is already threaded, but that's
not certain.

> My local machine shop says that it just needs to be attached to the head
> surface somewhere...   That they often mount them in the face of the
> cooling fins.  Is this true?  That would lead me to believe that there
> are several safe bets to relocate the sensor to, but things like this
> are hardly that easy, so I'm expecting a "no" answer here.  :)

It needs to be somewhere that will be close to the same temp, so if you put it
out at the end of some cooling fin it won't be sending quite the right signal
to the brain. OTOH, this would be better than nothing, and we've seen that
there seems to be quite a variation in the R values of these sensors, so it
might be worth a shot.