Re: [T3] Fuel injection relays - no second click

On 15 Apr 2003 at 19:36, Aaron Clow wrote:

> The only click I'm hearing is under the back seat. I am not hearing the
> fuel pump relay click. If someone had bypassed it, I'd still hear it
> clicking on, right? Is it a noticeable click or do I really have to
> listen for it? I was under the dash when I turned on the ignition and
> the only distinct click was the FI power relay.

The fuel pump relay is mounted to the "firewall" just up and left from where
the steering column passes thru it. Can you see it there? It looks exactly like
the main power relay under the back seat. If it's there, put your hand on it
while you turn the key ON. You should be able to feel it click.

> > If this is a very late 71 or a 72 this most likely > means that there
> is a > miswired connection on your starter which makes the > FI think
> the starter is > running all the time.

> I double-checked this and it's wired correctly. Seems like someone did
> get down there with a lot of electrical tape though, and the red/white
> wire had quite the corroded clip. Should there be a protective boot over
> that? Seems like it shouldn't be open to the elements...

Electrical tape and protective boots often do more harm than good, because
water gets in and then gets held there. If I want to protect a connector, I put
a liberal dab of grease on it. That excludes water and prevents oxidation.