[T3] Compression Test

Less than two weeks into my latest aircooled VW
ownership I've done at least one really stupid thing
-- didn't check for gasoline before trying to get the
car started. OK, now that I've admitted that, tonight
I finally got around to doing a compression test on
the engine. Just over 120psi on all cylinders except
for #3, which was (gulp) 40-50psi. I double checked
each one, and the readings were all correct. Is there
a chance (hopefully) I'm doing something stupid again
and this might be caused by something other than
something that's going to mean an overhaul? The two
things I didn't do was put a little oil in the
cylinder (my oil "syringe" was stuck and couldn't free
it) and I haven't yet checked the valves. Could either
of these issues cause such a drop in pressure? I'm
going to do both of these tomorrow night... If the
figure doesn't change, I really shouldn't drive the
car at all like this, right?

Thanks...

Aaron

=====