[T3] Confused, help with rebuild engine

Hi,

I have a 1973 Squareback 1600cc stock dual carbs. I am
thinking rebuilding the engine to 1776 or stay with
stock 1600cc.

I have been looking at web sites for rebuilding engine
and most of them are in west coast. I live in New York
city area. I am willing to go far to get the motor
rebuild. Can anyone recommend me a good rebuilder
engine shop?

I have a couple of questions here before I make a
final decision. Hope you guys can help me out.

1) I am thinking to get 1776cc with dual stock carbs.
Will it works fine with it?

2) Short or long blocks? Which is it really belong to
type 3 engine?

3) Can anyone recommend me a good VW shop or engine
rebuilder in North East coast, can go a bit south of
east coast.

Thanks,

Jason