RE: [T3] Fuel injection troubles have defeated me so far

On 14 Apr 2003 at 22:50, Bryan Castles wrote:

> UPDATE:  Well, I started checking some of the things on the lists
> provided.  I started at the trigger points, and some noticeable dirt did
> come off on the card (had some alcohol on the card) for both sides.
> When I was putting the distributor back in, I noticed that it did not
> spring back as Jim mentioned it should.  I also had a great deal of
> trouble getting it seated all of the way (I've had this trouble before).
> After playing with it some more, I noticed that even when I got it
> seated and tightened down, I could still give the rotor a good twist and
> it would give me trouble.  I borrowed another distributor with
> questionable points, and a good condenser.  It installed with no
> problem, and did have the spring back action that the other one did not
> have.

At least when you're in this troubleshooting phase you really want to fix each
problem as it pops up. This includes getting the RIGHT distributor in there.
What year do you have, is it AT or MT, and what were the 2 distributors that
you tried?

> The car started and drove, but ran a bit rough.  Once I got it up to
> speed, it started to have the same problems that the car was having
> before, but it seemed to be more like it was further back in the
> process.  In other words, it cut out a lot, but I could still drive
> it. The good news is that I got it home, and gathered some more
> information.

One of the useful things about squares is that you can leave the engine cover
off and put a friend in the back seat with an inductive timing light. He can
just watch the light flash and tell you whether the light stops flashing when
the engine misses. He may also move the inductive clip around while you drive
and see if the problem is just one cylinder, or all of them.

> NEW INFO:  Well, it doesn't cut out at any specific range, but it seems
> to do it when the throttle is held in position.

What position? Any fixed position? If so, then make sure your pressure sensor
hose is attached at both ends.

> Not so much when it is being pressed down for acceleration.  When it
> cuts out it's literally like the ignition cuts out.  It smokes a bit
> then when it cuts back in, there is a big puff of smoke and it cleans
> right up.  That makes me think that I am missing spark and the smoke is
> unburned fuel. I couldn't get a good idea of what color the smoke
> was...  It was dark when I drove it home.  I hope to get a little
> direction from this, and really dive into the system tomorrow.  At
> least now it is at home, and I can spend some time on it.
>
> Thoughts on most likely place to start?  Trigger points on this
> distributor too?

Check the standard tuneup things, including valves. Check the fuel pressure.
Check the charging system voltage at med rpms.