Re: [T3] Signs Point to Bad Generator

On 15 Apr 2003 at 17:05, Ben Doughney wrote:

> One thing I did notice on the 'new' generator I put in, was that the
> soldered connection between the two field coils had become unglued from the
> piece of insulating plastic it was supposed to be stuck to. I glued that
> back and put some shrink sleeving over the screws that hold the generator
> together because I noticed they could also touch the wire that goes between
> the +ve brush and the field coils. So here are two possible places for
> failure to occur.

I should probably add a couple of paragraphs to my FAQ about this possibility.
In general, if you disconnect the VR from the DF terminal on the generator, it
will stop generating. If it keeps on generating then there is a short in the
generator field windings (or leads) to ground. If there is no short here, then
the only way you can get high output voltage is from a bad VR. Personally, I
have never seen a VR fail such that it gave high voltage. OTOH, if you had a
short to ground of the DF wire, between the generator and the VR, this would
alco cause this problem. Take a good look at your wiring harness and make sure
that it has not been damaged or that you don't have some body panels coming
loose and cutting into it.

> This was on the older(?) style of generator with the push on terminals. I
> also bought one of the newer style with the screw on posts and I noticed
> that they had routed the wires a bit differently in there, to avoid these
> problems.

That style was used only in 67 and 68. The push on connector really wasn't up
to the 30A, so there were too many failures of that connector and they went to
the screw terminal and eye lug in 69.

Nice writeup, Ben.