RE: [T3] Fuel injection, hot starts

On 15 Apr 2003 at 6:40, Vlach, Joe -CKHS wrote:

> I am still having problems starting my 69 fuel injected engine. It starts
> fine when cold, but once driven and let to sit for ~ 5 minutes I have to
> crank, and crank, and crank.

This sounds like your engine is running rich, perhaps just while starting.

> One thing I am curious about is the cold start valve. When should I get
> power to the valve? I wasn't getting a reading @ the valve. The p.o. mounted
> the relay in front of the engine, so it's very hard to get @. I am also
> wondering if it is connected to the right terminal on the starter?

It sounds like you have good instincts. The 69 CSV is completely different in
every way from all the later years. Most 68-9 cars didn't even have this
feature and i've actually never seen such a system in operation. There is a
very good chance that yours is wired wrong and that it's injecting when it
shouldn't be. Incorrect wiring on the starter is certainly one possibility.

I suggest that you start by just disconnecting the electrical plug that goes to
the electric valve for this injector. If this fixes the problem you can just
leave it off. If the gas mileage is still poor (if it ever was) then you might
want to just disconnect the fuel line to it.

If disconnecting the wires from the solenoid valve fixes the problem, then I'd
like to see you try to sort out the wiring and fix it back up, just because so
very few of these systems still exist.

One other thing: Do you hear the TWO relay clicks, about 1 second apart, when
you get in your car and turn the key ON? If not, that's another indication that
the starter wire is misconnected.