Re: [T3] Insulating foam

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 13:00, Steven Ayres wrote:
> Boinger=> Any suggestions for where I would
> => really /want/ to put the foam?
>
> If you plan to keep the car for any length of time, I would suggest nowhere.
> Once it's in there foam is often impossible to remove again, and as I
> understand it most of these foams trap moisture (both leakage and
> condensation) next to the metal. Under those conditions I gather some foams
> actually leach corrosive compounds.
>
> While I can't be authoritative about the chemical processes, I have direct
> experience that foam can promote rust. The previous owner of my motor home
> used building foam extensively in the body and door panels, and I'll have a
> huge job cleaning it up and replacing panels as a result.

Oh.  I figured it was 'past that' since so many of the automakers are
using it:
http://www.dow.com/automotive/materials/products/betafoam/product.htm

Maybe not.

Is the automotive-specific stuff the same?

--
jeff vier

1967 Squareback - daily driver - midwest car getting healthier slowly
1969 Bug - street racer from California
boinger@qamail.transora.com