Re: Fender trim holes

Jim wrote:
>I still like the concept of marking a line using some kind of jig that would
>let you just draw a line parallel to the crease in the fender. You could
work
>out the spacing on the other side and then just mark this side as needed.
Your
>best choice is probably soft pencil--it won't bleed if you paint over it..

I think I'm going to go that route. Yeah, I planned on using the other side
for reference. I think I've got something around here that will work nicely
for keeping it even though. I just have to play with it a little first to
make sure it will work.

>It's probably likely that the most important visual thing here will be to
keep
>the trim a constant distance from the body crease. That's the one feature
that
>you eye can and will fix on. BTW, I find that the door and fender almost
never
>seem to line up with each other exactly, so don't worry about that too much.

Yes, this is a visual type of thing and I want to get it as close as I can.
I've already noticed this on several other type3s that I have around here.
And you're right in that the door and fender don't line up exactly.  If I was
taking the fenders off, I would get all the body lines to line up. But on
this project the owner doesn't want to do this, as its supposed to be a
repaint, not a restoration.
 On another note I used your method and popped the plug out whole without
drilling into it. I now have a nice souvenir for my collection. : )  I was
also able to verify the hole size, its 4.36mm (.1715 inch), this is without
paint in the hole. So it looks like an 11/64ths will work for drilling them.
Thanks for the help.

Bob 65 Notch S w/ Sunroof
       69 Square AT-the baby suburban