Re: [T3] Signs Point to Bad Generator

Gary,

You could also check the Bently manual for more Gen testing
procedures.

 Just to let you know , to compare notes, I have been experiencing
generator problems this year , my brushes have been wearing out out on a
weekly interval, sparks could be seen comming out of the brushes ,
commutator
pitting would also result. I never knew why this was happening, I checked my
wiring,
replaced my regulator and it still sparked at the brushes. I finally
replaced
my generator with a Genuine Premium Bosch rebuild . I polarized the
generator
as per the VW manual, the brushes still sparked like the other old
generator,
eventually the comutator pitted and the Generator light lit as soon as I
detected
1.5 v out of my field and 9v out of D+ . I guess that was defective. I dug
an old junkyard generator out of my basement, installed it and all voltages
came up, 9v now on the field and 15.5v on the D+ , no sparks detected out of
the
brushes, no Generator light on , good charging.

It has been almost two months with this generator, this weekend I
reinstalled
the new Bosch generator (I need to return it for another)to verify that it
was
actually bad, well, sparks, lots of heat, Gen light on and low charging
was the result, I will get a replacement for it.

The old junkyard generator is still working fine with no heat or sparks,
What is the difference inside ? I already checked for shorts an could not
find any in the new one.

Anyone know what may have happened to this and other generators, any
experiences ?

LEON MARTINEZ