Re: [T3] Carb question... what will fit?

> Just be aware that installing carbs is seldom the quick and simple process
that
> the sellers of carbs will want you to think. There's a long learning curve
on
> the way to getting them jetted just right and the path is seldom obvious.

I'll second that. There's a great deal of voodoo involved with carbs. I've
been trying to get mine set up right for ages, and I think I've finally done
it (touch wood).

You can take it from me that it is by no means easy to get all the little
bits working together properly. One tiny piece malfunctioning can mean weird
random phenomena that are really difficult to trace.

I would imagine that using non-stock carbs is an even bigger problem, as
there are no set specs and you will probably never know when you have them
set up properly.

> Of
>course the easiest way would be to find a 67 in a junkyard with everything
on
>it that you needed, so you could just transfer from one dual port 1600 to
>another. That route would also be fairly cheap.

Using junk yard carbs may be cheap but it would be an unpredictable system.
Any part of it could be worn out or non-functional, not to mention blocked
passageways and other horrors which you'd never be able to diagnose. Also
the linkage almost definitely would be worn out. I speak from experience,
having just replaced a carb base with a non-functioning accelerator pump.

I'm sorry to sound negative but I've just spent the last three days trying
to diagnose my Frankenstein's-monster (but stock) carb system yet again, and
boring everyone on the Type 34 list to death in the process. There were
multiple problems there that needed solving, and the last one - a dud needle
valve in the right-hand carb, I only found by chance because I stared down
it while the engine was running and actually saw raw gas dripping down its
throat.

Daniel Baum
1969 Type 34 automatic
Email: daniel@type34.info