Re: [T3] Fuel injection troubles have defeated me so far

On 13 Apr 2003 at 10:02, Bryan Castles wrote:

> Car: 69 Squareback, 69 and 70 mixed fuel injection system.
>
> Trouble:  The car runs intermittently, and eventually dies.  Let me
> provide a bit of background on this.  The car always had a little "miss"
> when cruising at highway speeds.  It would only miss for a moment (no
> backfire) then it would go right back to performing nicely.  The problem
> got worse however.  Then while at freeway speeds (between about 50 and
> 60) it would just cut out.  The motor would still be running, but would
> not provide me with any power at all.  Then it would just come back to
> life some.  I would let up on the pedal a lot and sometimes the problem
> would go away then.  The problem finally got to the point where it does
> this at all speeds.

Okay, we love a challenge.  ;-)  First a couple of questions: What kind of gas
mileage have you been getting, specifically is there any indication that the
mileage has been poor? If so, I wonder if your system is running rich. There
are a number of simple things that could cause this, including mixed FI parts.

Your brain and pressure sensor should both be 311-B versions. Your pressure
switch should have a good intact hose between it and the intake air
distributor. You should be able to hear your throttle valve click just as it
comes off idle and just as it goes back on idle.

When you get in the car and turn the key ON, do you hear a relay click and then
another click about 1 second later? You should.

Your charging system voltage should measure 14.1-14.4V with the engine warm at
med RPM and the battery charged up after a drive. Measure it at the battery. If
it is less than 13.5V replace the voltage regulator with a Bosch 30 019. I
stock these if you can't find them locally.

Remove your distributor cap and grab the rotor. Twist it CW. It should turn and
then snap back. If it does not, you should let be rebuild the distributor.

Grab the rotor and wiggle it sideways. There should be no perceptable play.

If these things are all fine, pull out the distributor and clean off the FI
trigger points that mount in the bottom (from the side.) Use a clean piece of
paper to remove any dirt/oil from between the points. If things are extremely
dirty you should let me rebuild the distributor. Don't let paper fibers get
caught in the points as you draw the paper out.

Keep us up to date on what you find.