Re: [T3] Magnet in sump

On 6 Apr 2003 at 22:11, Mark Seaton wrote:

> Last time I changed my oil I stuck a small magnet onto the sump plate. I
> changed the oil today and discovered quite a lot of fine ferrous matter
> covering the magnet and surrounding plate. I'm glad it got stuck to the
> magnet and ceased to circulate, but is this something I should worry about?
> I'm hoping there will be less next time- maybe this was all accumulating for
> 30 yrs and now I've caught it? ;-) Always look on the bright side! Perhaps
> there should have been a magnet there all along. I remember my 2CV always
> had an amount of fur on its magnet in the drain plug. If this is normal,
> then I guess fitting a magnet is a good idea- easier than fitting a filter!

I'd always been told that magnets were much less common in engines than in
transmissions because most of the parts that wore in an engine were non-
magnetic. I think the rings and cylinder walls are the sole exception to this.
I have some really strong magnets I should try this with.

OTOH, if this is just because you have gone 30kmiles since your last oil
change, then this is probably reasonable (and you should be ashamed. ;-)

I would still argue for full flow filtering because there are lots of nasty
things that a magnet won't pick up and a filter will.