Re: [T3] Dating a car

> A friend's restoring a 1600 variant and needs a carb.
> Not sure about the year of the car, the VIN # is 361 2104 555.
> I think it should be btween Ag-Dec '70.

361 2108 457 was the last one made in Dec 1970, so yours was only 4,000 before
the last one (last week of production in Dec 1970 I expect).

You should be able to work out the day it was made .  You will need the details
from the small 70mm x 15mm painted plate in the corner of the front panel.  They
look like 12-3-4567 where 12 is the working week of 1970 (should be 52 or 53 for
your friend), 3 means Wednesday.  Look up a calendar for 1970 and count the
weeks from the start.  I use the MS Word calendar wizard to help with this.
You can check the instructions on the webpage
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/dating.htm

More twin carb Type 3s were supplied in Europe even when FI was available.  If
you friend's is a 1970 single carb, it is certainly unusual.  there are engine
numbers you could check on the website too.

Dave.
UK VW Type 3 & 4 Club
http://www.hallvw.clara.co.uk/
------