Re: [T3] The Baroness

On 30 Sep 2002, at 11:53, Fiesta Cranberry wrote:

> Spent a lovely afternoon yesterday with Derek and The B.  Derek worked a
> miracle!  The B. is running SO MUCH BETTER!  He said the timing was way
> off, and adjusted it back to 0.  We also discovered where the burning
> smell was coming from.    About a month ago I was rear ended.  Well, it
> turns out that the rubber air bellows thingy in the back was completely
> melted onto the muffler; what a mess!  There were pieces of rubber in
> the generator pulley housing.  I pulled out the big pieces and cleaned
> as much as I could.  When I take The B. in this week to the body shop to
> have her rear end pulled out, I'll ask if they can take off the muffler
> and clean it up.  I'm also going to order a new air thingy.

The cooling air intake bellows is extremely important. It keeps your engine
from drawing in hot exhaust air in a failing effort to cool itself. You should not
drive the car on trips longer than 15-20 minutes without this bellows.

I would definitely NOT ask a body shop to deal with your muffler. They aren't
used to doing mechanical work so that will annoy them and they will do a
poor job, which will annoy you. Finding someone who can do this correctly
for you is more of a problem. In the end, no one out there cares as much
about your car as you do, so learning to do things yourself is the best
defense.

New OEM exhausts are expensive, new extractors are cheap.

I have new bellows if you can't find one locally.

> Now a question:  is there supposed to be something under the air bellows
> thingy to protect it from heat?  I need to know before I put a new one
> on there.  If there isn't some kind of shield, what prevents the bellows
> thingy from melting?

The stock muffler has a heat shield there, but the aftermarket extractor
exhausts don't. So it all depends on what you have. The bellows is usually
fine unless there is damage like you had.

> Thanx so much for all your help, especially Derek!

We're all grateful for Derek's help here. It's a good example of the kind of
good that can come from helping each other.

Thanks from all of us, Derek!

-
Jim Adney
jadney@vwtype3.org