[T3] My Engine swallowed part of my carb!

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Hello fellow T3ers,
I just made the frightening discovery today that my engine has swallowed the
accelerator pump tube from one of my carbs. I think I know when it happened-
a couple of months ago one morning it decided to run really roughly- nasty
harsh sound from the engine, but it cleared itself soon after. Last time I
had the heads off I saw damage to the no3 piston and head from swallowing
something else. Would this brass tube cause me any serious damage or can I
forget about it- should I worry about main and gudgeon pin bearing damage
from jarring? I just fitted brand new carbs and am hoping for better fuel
efficiency.
Weird thing is that it had been running very well with this missing tube- I
just recorded my best (but still very bad I think) mpg of 26.5 (UK) after a
100 mile motorway drive. Why are our cars so inefficient? or is it just
mine?I just got back from a trip to Munich in my friends Merc 230 Auto
estate- dragging its tail in the mud from overloading and travelling at an
average 90 mph and the mpg were better than my little cars average. Whats
going on?

Strangers keep telling me what a nice car I have, and it regularly brings
smiles, so despite its shortcomings, I'm glad I drive a type3.

Mark Seaton
'73 TA, London