Re: [T3] ATF leak clarifications

On 28 Sep 2002, at 18:25, Daniel Baum wrote:

> The top bolt of the dipstick tube is something I have wondered about
> occasionally but never seen to; what is it supposed to bolt to? There is
> nothing around there that had a corresponding hole.

I hope Russ remembers, because I don't. The Bentley has a nice exploded
view, but because it's exploded, I can't tell where that bolt goes, other than
the fact that it points vertically downward. If I had to guess, it looks like there
is a boss on top of the bell housing which might have a hole in it.

> As for the bottom of the tube; would it be a good idea to remove the tube
> and inspect it properly? It is certainly possible that I knocked it askew
> when I removed the fuel hose. I just hope I can get it to seal again. Would
> some silicone or something be a good idea?

The seal in there is an O-ring. It could be broken, worn, or just out of place.
You should certainly check it. You might be able to just buy a replacement
at a bearing supply house, at least in the US these places usually stock O-
rings, too. I have some incomplete AT gasket sets if you need the real thing.